over spilled pop. Or is there? Last week my Mother-in-Law accidentally spilled pop on my kitchen floor. She felt horrible but it was an accident, these things happen. Brady was crying, Ethan wanted his dinner and I had to get ready for book club so it was too many things happening at once.
Tonight Drew spilled pop all over the kitchen floor at dinner because no matter how many times I ask him to sit down he gets up and wanders around. So naturally he spilled his drink. And if that wasn't bad enough as I tried to clean it up Brady insisted on walking right through it so he could get to Drew. Ethan tried to hold him back but that kid is fast.
So what does Mommy do? Well, have a break down naturally. It's not the pop. Again, it was an accident but sometimes it is so frustrating to try and keep up with the day to day stuff and it all seems to fall apart. I feel like I am fighting a never ending battle with house work. And let's face it, I hate cleaning, laundry, picking up, etc. But I try, oh how I try to stay on top of it all and it just seems to throw itself back in my face. Like the spilled pop, is it taunting me? Is it a reminder that I just can't keep up? That its just too much for one person to handle? Sometimes I feel that way.
Or maybe I am just overthinking the whole thing. Accidents happen, kids make messes and before I know it I will be so sad that my kids are grown and not making a mess in my house every day. Well, maybe not that last part so much. Maybe it's just another reminder to not sweat the small stuff. So I am a lousy housekeeper, Matt knows this and yet it hasn't affected how much he loves me (and that sure is a lot!) So I got on my hands and knees, cleaned the floor yet again and had a lovely evening with my boys afterwards. Can't wait for Matt to get home tomorrow, I won't mind spilled pop as much if he cleans it up;)
Big spills on the floor tend to throw me, too. I remember one week I dropped TWO big containers of yogurt onto our kitchen floor, on different days. The container broke and it exploded everywhere. Our wood floors, unfortunately, have bevels between the planks because I wasn't thinking clearly when I picked them out. It was awful!
ReplyDeleteChristine sorry about the pop on the floor. Your children will not remember the house is so clean, but they will remember all the activities and fun things you do with them. I wish I could go back in time and correct all the mistakes I made, but I can only try to be a better person each day. God blessed me with 4 Beautiful children, Daughter in Laws, Son in Laws and very smart and gifted Grandchildren each having a unique spirit, never causing any big problems. So let the housework go it will always be waiting for you and spend the precious time with you Family. And do not sweat the small stuff. Trust me on this one and thank God you all have a good life. One day you will look back and wonder where all the time went.
ReplyDelete